For a small town, Ranger presently has numerous churches.
The oldest church in Ranger may be the Methodist Church
which was organized in 1881. Perhaps the newest one is
the non-denominational Cowboy Church.
CHURCH OF CHRIST - (203 Mesquite) Members began meeting
in the Merriman school during the year of 1890. A small
frame church building was on the location of the present
church in 1907. A new brick building was constructed in
1935 and later another church was build at the near same
CHURCH OF GOD OF PROPHECY - located at the corner of Oak & Hunt
CORNERSTONE BAPTIST MISSION - located on Loop 254
COVENANT LOVE CHURCH - located at 127 N. Austin St.
EASTSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH - (4th & Young St.) This church was
started as a mission of the First Baptist Church. It was
organized into a church in 1957. The congregation moved
into a new church in 1979 & the old sanctuary was torn down.
EASTSIDE CHURCH OF CHRIST - located at 304 Strawn Rd.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH - (Walnut at Marston) This church was organized
in 1882. Services were held in the school building for the first
three years. In 1885 a small frame building was constructed on
the corner lot of Walnut & N. Austin St. During the oil boom, a
brick building was dedicated. At one time the membership numbered
750. A new sanctuary building was constructed in 1966.
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - (411 Elm St.) Reverend Hightower
organized this church in 1881. A white frame church building
was erected in 1886. The congregation moved to the present
brick church in 1920.
FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH & CHRISTIAN SCHOOL - located at 404 W. Main St.
HARMONY BAPTIST CHURCH - 124 County Rd 334, Morton Valley
LEON RIVER COWBOY CHURCH - (Livestock Auction building near Olden)
LIGHTHOUSE FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER - (I-20 at Desdemona Exit)
FIRST PENTECOSTAL CHURCH - (Caddo Rd.)
MERRIMAN BAPTIST CHURCH - (Merriman Rd.) Organization of the Merriman
Baptist Church was in 1892. The congregation erected a small church
house in 1893 and a wood frame meeting house in 1903. The church
leased oil drilling rights on the property and was able to donate to
many Christian groups and causes. In 1922, a new brick church was
constructed. There were 225 members in 1999. Many churches in Ranger
may have started here in the late 1800s after evangelistic meetings.
Located 1.5 miles south of Love's on Lake Leon Rd.
NEW HOPE BAPTIST CHURCH - La Casa Community, Ranger, Texas
SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH - located at Commerce & Pine St.
ST. PAUL BAPTIST - located at 501 Cherry St.
ST. RITA'S CATHOLIC CHURCH - located at 1109 Blackwell Rd.
TABERNACLE OF FAITH - located at 507 Cypress
Other Ranger churches that existed at one time:
CHURCH OF GOD - This church was located at 601 Pershing.
CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE - Meetings of this church were first held
in a tent during the 1930s. At one time there was a church built
across from Ratliff Feed Store.
CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - The congregation of this church
started meeting at the Methodist Church in 1892.
EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF RANGER - close around 1940 and combined with
the Episcopal Church in Eastland, which changed its name to
what is known today as Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH - This church was organized in 1919 and
at one time was located at 404 W. Main St. next to the old West
RIDDLE STREET BAPTIST CHURCH